A fully certified law enforcement agency by the Commonwealth of Virginia with full arrest authority, we are manned 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
The Emergency Communications Office is the central contact point for The Department of Public Safety and Community Services. It is open 24 hours a day, year round, and dispatches University Police, Fire and EMS in cooperation with the City of Fredericksburg’s 911 Call Center.
Locksmith Services is responsible for the repair and maintenance of physical locking mechanisms and provides key control and access control of buildings. The Locksmith Office is open Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The entire Police Department and the staff of the Public Safety unit is committed to providing and maintaining safe and secure environments on all UMW campuses/properties for every member of the UMW community, including students, staff and faculty, as well as all guests and visitors.
With the beginning of the school year, special emphasis will be placed on student personal safety. Other outreach topics are:
- Sexual assault
- Active bystander status:
- If you think that someone is at risk – consider it an emergency and get involved!
- Illegal drug use and high-risk drinking:
- These can have lasting consequences including administrative and legal issues.
- Fire exits:
- Know multiple evacuation routes.
- Electrical Safety:
- Know how to properly use devices and discard them if defective.
- Emergency preparedness:
- Have emergency supplies on hand (water, batteries, flashlights, and other supplies).
- Safety escort program:
- Safety transports are available by calling (540) 654-1025.