How to Stay Safe and Feel Safe at Mary Washington
Campus Walk, Ball Circle, Virginia Hall: These are landmarks of our campus. It is the people, however, who make the University of Mary Washington a community, and it is our community values of intellectual inquiry, inclusion, and mutual respect that guide and strengthen us. In order to live, work, and learn together, we must serve as one another’s eyes and ears. That’s the way to keep Mary Wash safe.
Share any information that concerns you, no matter how big, no matter how small. If you see something, hear something, or read something that feels wrong, report it. Trust your instincts!
- The UMW Police Department is staffed by sworn officers and can be reached 24 hours a day. For emergencies, call 4444 or 777 from any campus phone. The 4444 or 777 system is similar to 911. From a cell phone, dial 540-654-4444. Non emergencies call 540-654-1025.
- Download the RAVE Guardian app onto your smartphone! That way, you will have immediate contact with law enforcement in an emergency.
- Use the UMW Reporting Form, though as an online system the response may not be immediate.
- Use the blue light phone system if outside, or pick up a red phone in residence halls. All calls are automatically forwarded to UMW Police.
- The Talley Center. If you are experiencing anxiety, get in touch with the Talley Center, Lee Hall 106, weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., 540-654-1053. If you need support at night or on the weekend, call UMW Police on the non-emergency line: 540-654-1025.
- Human Resources Department. Staff and Faculty can contact the Human Resources Department for support and resources, including how to utilize the Employee Assistance Program.
- UMW Police Escorts. After dark, Eagle Patrol provides an escort on foot for any UMW student, faculty or staff member from one point on campus to another. During all other times, UMW police officers provide safety escorts. Call 540-654-1025.
- UMW Reporting Form. Community members are urged to report concerns about a student’s well-being; sexual misconduct and assault; bias incidents; and Code of Conduct violations.
If you are concerned about a possible threat or act of violence, or any odd or inappropriate behavior from any member of the UMW community, there are a variety of ways to report:
- Call the UMW Police: 540-654-1025 (non-emergency); Emergency – dial 4444 or 777 from any campus phone or dial 540-654-4444 on your phone.
- Submit a concern about a student online.
- Submit a Silent Witness Report to the UMW Police anonymously.
- Contact any member of the Threat Assessment Team. These trained faculty and staff members meet regularly and as necessary to assess concerns and respond depending on information received.