The UMW Police Department, utilizing information provided by witnesses and the Northern Virginia Community College Police, has identified the male suspect in the Nov. 16 sexual battery incident on the Fredericksburg campus. The suspect was interviewed by police investigators and has admitted guilt. The criminal investigation is ongoing and charges are pending. The perpetrator has been barred from UMW property.
Campus safety is the responsibility of all community members. If you see something, say something. All suspicious activity or hazardous conditions should be immediately reported to UMW Public Safety at 540-654-1025. Also, with the approaching holiday season, think safety at all times.
- Always remain aware of your surroundings.
- Travel or walk in well lighted areas.
- Always park your car in well lighted areas, close to store or restaurant entrances.
- Move briskly and purposely from parking lot areas to buildings.
- Be a responsible bystander, lookout for your fellow Eagles.
- Never allow anyone to follow behind you when entering a residence hall.
- Download the RAVE Guardian safety application: Download Rave Guardian for iPhone or Download Rave Guardian for ANDROID.