The Art History major is a program that focuses on the study of the historical development of art as social and intellectual phenomenon, the analysis of works of art, and art conservation. Includes instruction in the theory of art, art history research methods, connoisseur-ship, the preservation and conservation of works of art, and the study of specific periods, cultures, styles, and themes.
Please consult the UMW Undergraduate Catalog for specific and up-to-date major requirements.
Thinking About This Major?
The Center for Career & Professional Development has many tools and resources available to help you choose your major. Below are three of them:
Focus 2: A series of reliable, intuitive, career and education decision-making assessments to help students select a major, explore occupations, make informed career decisions, and take action in their career development.
Skills developed as an Art History major (via Focus2): Decision making, problem solving, reading comprehension, reasoning, and speaking.
What Can I Do With This Major: Learn more about what you can do as an Art History major! Some areas of career options are museums and galleries, art sales, education, media, nonprofit, and government.
Handshake: UMW’s online career management platform that includes the latest jobs from employers hiring at your school. You can search for organizations based on major, location, job type, and many other categories.
Art History – Current Job Opportunities
Note: Job & Internship opportunities are pulled from UMW’s online job and internship database, Handshake, and update every 12 hours. Log into your UMW Handshake account to find hundreds of other opportunities and events.
Art History – Current Internship Opportunities
Art History Graduate Data
Note: Undergraduate outcome data is collected by the UMW Career Center each year. The data is then broken down by major in order to determine how many graduates in each major are employed, attending graduate school, or pursuing a different path within 6 months of graduation.
- “knowledge rate” defines the percent of graduates for which the institution has reasonable and verifiable information concerning the graduates’ post-graduation career activities
- “career outcome rate” is the number of graduates who have landed in any of the employment categories (full-time, part-time, internship) in addition to service, military, and continuing education divided by the total number of students for whom an outcome is known.
Art History Alumni (2018-2022)
Total graduates: 47
Knowledge Rate: 73%
Career Outcome Rate: 76%
- Employed Full-time: 29%
- Employed Part-time: 20%
- Grad School: 26%
- Seeking Employment: 20%
- Volunteer Service: 3%
- Not seeking: 3%
Where do our alumni land?
Alumni Success Stories
UMW alumni are excited to help current students and other alumni succeed in their fields. Below are stories from alumni about their experiences at UMW and after.
Art History Alumni Profiles: Read more about some of our successful Art History alums.
- American Alliance of Museums
- American Craft Council
- American Historical Association
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
- Americans for the Arts
- Appraisers Association of America
- Art Libraries Society of North America
- Association of Art Editors
- Association of Art History
- Association of Art Museum Curators
- Association of Historians of American Art
- College Art Association
- Foundations in Art: Theory and Education
- International Association of Art Critics
- National Antique and Art Dealers Association of America
- National Art Education Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Visual Resources Association