The Chemistry major general program focuses on the scientific study of the composition and behavior of matter, including its micro- and macro-structure, the processes of chemical change, and the theoretical description and laboratory simulation of these phenomena.
Please consult the UMW Undergraduate Catalog for specific and up-to-date major requirements.
Thinking About This Major?
The Center for Career & Professional Development has many tools and resources available to help you choose your major. Below are three of them:
Focus 2: A series of reliable, intuitive, career and education decision-making assessments to help students select a major, explore occupations, make informed career decisions, and take action in their career development.
Skills developed as a Chemistry major (via Focus2): Equipment selection, listening, managing time, mathematics, problem solving, reading comprehension, reasoning, science, speaking, writing and authoring.
What Can I Do With This Major: Learn more about what you can do as an Chemistry major! Some areas of career options are agricultural chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, geochemistry, inorganic chemistry.
Handshake: UMW’s online career management platform that includes the latest jobs from employers hiring at your school. You can search for organizations based on major, location, job type, and many other categories.
Chemistry – Current Job Opportunities
Note: Job & Internship opportunities are pulled from UMW’s online job and internship database, Handshake, and update every 12 hours. Log into your UMW Handshake account to find hundreds of other opportunities and events.
Chemistry – Current Internship Opportunities
Chemistry Graduate Data
Note: Undergraduate outcome data is collected by the UMW Career Center each year. The data is then broken down by major in order to determine how many graduates in each major are employed, attending graduate school, or pursuing a different path within 6 months of graduation.
- “knowledge rate” defines the percent of graduates for which the institution has reasonable and verifiable information concerning the graduates’ post-graduation career activities
- “career outcome rate” is the number of graduates who have landed in any of the employment categories (full-time, part-time, internship) in addition to service, military, and continuing education divided by the total number of students for whom an outcome is known.
Chemistry Alumni (2018-2022)
Total graduates: 37
Knowledge Rate: 89%
Career Outcome Rate: 83%
- Employed Full-time: 53%
- Employed Part-time: 6%
- Grad School: 19%
- Military: 3%
- Seeking Employment: 13%
- Waiting on Grad School: 6%
Where do our alumni land?
Alumni Success Stories
UMW alumni are excited to help current students and other alumni succeed in their fields. Below are stories from alumni about their experiences at UMW and after.
STAY TUNED for our Alumni Success Stories.
- American Academy of Forensic Science
- American Chemical Society
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society for Materials International
- Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Crop Life America
- National Association of Science Writers
- Society for Technical Communication