The World Health Organization defines wellness as “a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
In 2017, this committee was established to focus on cohesive wellness initiatives at the University of Mary Washington. The committee will develop strategies for implementation and assessment of impactful wellness efforts on campus.
The Council will do the following:
- Work to create a culture in which all members of the community recognize health – of body and mind – as integral to our learning environment.
- Conduct needs assessment for both student and employee wellness to include an evaluation of current programs and services.
- Meet a minimum of once per month.
- Report a minimum of once per semester to the President’s Cabinet outlining recommendations and the committee’s progress.
- President: Kelly Shannon, Director of Campus Recreation
- Co-Vice President: Jennifer Cirbus, Academic Advisor, Academic Services
- Co-Vice President: April Brecht, Director of Advising Center, College of Education
- Treasurer: Britni Greenleaf, Coordinator of New Student Programs, Student Involvement
- Secretary: Brittanie Naff, Assistant Director of Campus Recreation
Committees and Membership Lists
Committee chairs are in bold. If interested in serving, please email email@example.com.
Marketing and Communication
- Brittanie Naff, Assistant Director of Campus Recreation
- Amber Zipfel, Undergraduate Student
- Caleigh Pope, Graduate Student
- Maelyn Beitzel, Undergraduate Student
- Joe Gagliardi, Police Sergeant, UMW Police
Programming and Education
- Jennifer Cirbus, Academic Advisor, Subcommittee Co-chair
- April Brecht Director of Advising Center, College of Education
- Angela Pitts, Professor, Classics, Philosophy, and Religion
- Anna Balgoyen, Undergraduate Student
- Carleigh Rahn, Undergraduate Student
- Jennifer Cooper, Assistant Director Continuing & Professional Education Program
- Justin Anderson, Head Men’s and Women’s Swimming Coach, Athletics
- Lynn Lewis, Chair/Professor, Biological Sciences
- Marissa Miller, Associate Coordinator for Judicial Affairs, Office of Student Conduct and Responsibility
- Mira Golmant, Undergraduate Student
- Nancy Wang, Director of Student Health Center, Physician
- Valentina Leon-Ledezma, Undergraduate Student
Research and Development
- Kelly Shannon, Director of Campus Recreation
- Ray Tuttle, Director of Student Conduct and Responsibility
- Macy Justice, Undergraduate Student
- Miriam Liss, Professor, Psychological Science
Grants and Fundraising
- Britni Greenleaf, Coordinator of New Student Programs, Student Involvement