Designed for nontraditional adult students who want to complete a bachelor’s degree, UMW’s Bachelor of Liberal Studies program offers greater flexibility than a traditional bachelor’s degree and helps you translate your career and life experience into academic credit. Students enroll full or part time, are not required to live on campus, and skip the foreign language requirements of the traditional curriculum’s general education component.
BLS students receive a well-rounded education, exploring an array of subjects in the arts, humanities, and natural and social sciences. Choose from more than 30 majors in the liberal arts and sciences, including Leadership and Management, which is exclusive to the BLS program; double major; or work with the BLS office and UMW faculty to create your own major and degree plan.
You’ve gathered lots of great experience through your life and your work. Let UMW’s Bachelor of Liberal Studies program for adult learners turn your know-how into a degree that will take you to new heights. Use the checklist below to make sure you have everything you need to apply.
- Apply online, and we’ll waive the $50 application fee!
- Official transcripts from each college you’ve attended, even if the credits were transferred to another school.
- Official documentation of all nontraditional credit earned (College Level Examination Program or Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support tests, military training, etc.)
- Verification of high school completion. Unless the applicant holds an associate degree, UMW will need a high school transcript or a copy of your diploma or GED award letter.
- Demonstration of competency on the Test of English as a Foreign Language, as necessary, if the student’s native language is not English.
- Service members should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling at UMW.
To receive Admissions materials, call us at (540) 654-2000 or request more information online.