Special Programs for what matters to you.
Students interested in the following programs should respond affirmatively to questions within the application for admission to special programs.
- Student Transition Program (STP)
- Presidential Emerging Leadership Program (PELP)
Students interested in community and civic engagement might consider applying to the IMPACT program which supports student learning through a specialized curriculum, co-curricular activities, and engagement with our broader Fredericksburg community.
The UMW Honors Program is an interdisciplinary and intellectually rewarding educational experience. Students who excelled academically throughout high school and want to enhance their college experience with engaging academic and co-curricular experiences, individualized learning, community involvement, and leadership development should apply to the program within the application for admission to special programs.
Application to the Honors Program involves completion of the supplemental Honors Program application in the Common Application. UMW reviews all applications to the Honors Program to enroll 80-100 first-year students in the program each year. Consideration for the program involves reviewing the records of students who have completed the most rigorous high school curriculum available to them, earned a high school GPA of 3.9 on a 4.0 GPA scale or higher, and completed the supplemental essay on the Common Application. Standardized test scores are not required for consideration. Students not admitted to the Honors Program as a new first-year students may apply directly to the program after their first semester at UMW. For additional details, please visit the Honors Program page.
Nearly 60 students participate in the Student Transition Program (STP), which begins with a two-week summer session between high school graduation and the first semester at UMW and continues through the first year of enrollment.
- Admission to STP is determined through the first-year application.
- Students wishing to be considered for STP should indicate so within the application.
- Primary consideration for admission to STP is given to underrepresented populations.
- Students may be considered for both the Honors Program and STP or the Pre-Nursing plan and STP.
- All first-year applicants may be considered for STP regardless of residency.