Invest in Yourself
UMW’s Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) program offers greater flexibility than a traditional bachelor’s degree and helps you translate your career and life experience into academic credit. The Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) Program is designed for adult students who want to complete a bachelor’s degree.
Get info and updates from Mary Wash.
Explore our vibrant campus.
Join our home away from home.
At Mary Wash, our students are what inspire us.
For 110+ years, we’ve championed the fearless exploration of knowledge—connected students, like you, with their passions, and helped them use those passions to make the world better than before.
BLS Program Information
BLS students receive a well-rounded education, exploring various subjects in the arts, humanities, and natural and social sciences. Choose from more than 30 liberal arts and sciences majors, including Leadership and Management, which is exclusive to the BLS program; double major; or work with the BLS office and UMW faculty to create your own major and degree plan.
You’ve gathered lots of great experiences through your life and your work. Let UMW’s Bachelor of Liberal Studies program for adult learners turn your know-how into a degree that will take you to new heights. Students enroll full or part-time, are not required to live on campus, and skip the foreign language requirements of the traditional curriculum’s general education.
Tuition and Fees
A maximum of 90 semester hours of transfer credit may be used to fulfill the requirements for the BLS degree. These credits may include a maximum of 30 credits earned through military service and a maximum of 30 credits earned through a life/work portfolio. BLS students may choose to major in any one of the more than 30 majors available in arts and sciences.
The University of Mary Washington Bachelor of Liberal Studies offers a new online major designed for adults seeking a degree completion option who are working professionals ready to advance their skills in leadership and business.
Students only have to meet one requisite.
- Graduated from high school six or more years ago
- Have legal dependents other than a spouse
- Are financially self-supporting
- Have significant life, military or professional experiences that translate into academic knowledge and that can contribute to the completion of the Bachelor’s degree.
- Submit the free online application
- Resume preferred
- Transcripts- all college transcripts from all institutions attended
- Free Preliminary evaluation of transfer credit
- Any standardized test scores or military coursework transcripts may be considered for academic credit
- Upload unofficial transcripts for credit(s) evaluation *Be advised that evaluation of transfer credit will be finalized only after all official transcripts are received