There’s more than one way to earn a BSN from UMW!
UMW and Germanna Community College (GCC), recognizing the need for registered nurses to achieve baccalaureate degrees in nursing, created a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Academic Partnership Plan (BSN-APP). Also known as a 1 + 2 + 1 BSN Plan, the program provides an improved education system that promotes seamless academic progression. The agreement is designed for UMW pre-BSN students interested in earning a pre-licensure associate of applied science (A.A.S.) degree in nursing from GCC and a post-licensure bachelor of science in nursing from UMW.
Years 1, (2 & 3), 4 Explained
- First year students will complete required liberal arts and nursing prerequisite courses at UMW. In addition, students will complete SDV 100, BIO 141, and BIO 142 at GCC.
- Students will apply for a second admission to the GCC Nursing Program by April 1st for the following fall term.
- Students must meet all published procedures and deadlines for application to the GCC Nursing Program.
- Pre-licensure nursing programs are competitive. UMW students entering the BSN-APP (1 + 2 + 1 BSN Plan) during their first year are not guaranteed acceptance to the GCC Nursing Program.
- Students who live on campus will use their UMW address to qualify for GCC residency requirements.
- Students are required to live on-campus.
- Students must provide their own transportation to GCC.
- Students who are admitted to the GCC Nursing Program will attend GCC’s Nursing Program and earn an A.A.S. degree in nursing.
- Financial aid awards will be planned using the costs of both programs, and the process is still in development.
- Students continue to take liberal arts courses including three required BSN courses at UMW.
- Students continue to live on the UMW campus, participate in activities, and dine at UMW while completing the GCC Nursing Program.
- Students must have their own transportation so that they may attend nursing classes, nursing labs, and clinical assignments.
- Students complete the BSN at UMW.
- Students have 5 years, following graduation with an A.A.S. degree in nursing, to complete the fourth year at UMW.
University of Mary Washington students attending the GCC Nursing Program are responsible for:
- Following all GCC application processes, deadlines, and admission requirements.
- Following financial aid procedures.
- Providing their own transportation to GCC and to assigned clinical sites.
- Requesting their GCC transcript to be sent to UMW upon graduation.
- Continuing to meet with their UMW BSN Completion Program advisor each semester.
- Following all rules, regulations, and polices of GCC and the GCC Nursing Program, while attending the program.
- Following all rules, regulations, and polices of UMW, while attending UMW.