Preparing for move-in:
- First-years have been assigned a time slot for move-in on Wednesday. August 17th depending on their building and floor. Please refer to the move-in or your hall’s Move-In Day Of instructions sheet.
- Upper-class students will sign up for a move-in time slot on Saturday, August 20th or Sunday, August 21st. More information about signing up for a time will be sent via email in July.
- Read Eagle Essentials.
- Read the residential policies in the student handbook.
- Contact your roommate(s) to get to know each other and to discuss what items you will share and who is bringing what. You may contact them through our Housing Portal.
- Review the prohibited items list. Be sure to leave these items at home.
- Pack S.M.A.R.T.! Use the tips in our acronym and packing list found on our website to bring the right amount of belongings.
- Review your family insurance policy or purchase a renter’s insurance policy to protect your belongings while on campus. The university is not responsible for personal property damage.
- If you want to change your bed height or would like a lofting kit or bunk bed kit, check out how to configure your bed.
Get to know your roommate:
While social media is convenient for quick introductions and sharing information we encourage you and your roommate to have a phone conversation or when possible a face-to-face meeting to learn about each other before Move-In. Be mindful that some students are traveling for the summer or may not be accessible via certain communication methods. Be patient and don’t assume the worst.
Keep in mind:
- It is okay to feel apprehensive about speaking with your new roommate for the first time.
- They are in the same situation you are. Assume goodwill and give the relationship time.
- The more you communicate with your new roommate now and when you arrive on campus, the better the relationship will ultimately be.
Review helpful information about living with a roommate at https://www.umw.edu/residencelife/on-campus/life/roommate
Eagle Approved / Keep These Items Out of Your Nest:
All residence hall rooms at UMW come with:
- Twin bed frame and extra-long mattress
- Desk & Chair
- Ethernet Port-1 per resident
- Cable Port-1 per room
*In some halls, residents may share a dresser or closet with roommate.
Check out this printable Ultimate UMW Packing List for items that are Eagle Approved and those that are not permitted in your nest.
S: Spend two weeks taking note of what you use at home. If you haven’t used it in two weeks, don’t pack it.
M: Make lists of “must-have” and “want” items. Prioritize your lists and leave the unnecessary things at home.
A: Assess the space needed to bring your possessions. Remember, you will more than likely share a room with someone else.
R: Remember, Virginia has seasonal weather. There is no need to bring all of your clothes at once. Use family visits, breaks, and holidays to switch out clothes.
T: Talk to your roommate about sharing certain items. Why bring two when one will suffice?
Most home goods stores provide a fairly comprehensive list of items needed for college. Please be aware that these lists sometimes include items that are prohibited at UMW. Please review the prohibited items list and keep these items out of your nest!
NOTE: The University of Mary Washington does not provide storage for luggage, boxes, or the UMW-provided furniture listed above. Everything you bring must fit in your room.
NOTE: Label all boxes with last name, first initial, building, room number. Forgot your building and room? Check the Housing Portal.