If you love the University of Mary Washington as much as you say you do, the Office of Residence Life invites you to apply to become a Resident Assistant!
Resident Assistants possess strong leadership skills and a commitment to build quality relationships in not only their residential community, but all across the UMW campus.
RAs play an integral part in the overall operation of the residence halls. Primarily, the RA is concerned with the growth and development of each individual on his/her floor and the building community as a whole. Additionally, RAs are continually striving to enhance the quality of life for those residents. This includes planning programs, promoting inclusion, assisting with personal and professional growth, and most importantly enjoying their time at UMW. Most of all, it’s a very fun and rewarding job with many benefits.
The responsibilities below outline the general expectations of the Resident Assistant. Due to the nature of this position, which can be unpredictable and evolves as the needs of the campus change, there may be variations or additions to this list. RAs may also be asked to help with other duties as assigned by a professional staff member.
Resident Assistant Job Description 2017-2018
The 2017-2018 RA job description can be found on MyUMW in the Office of Residence Life & Commuter Student Services portal.
How to Apply
Three information sessions will be hosted by the Office of Residence Life to help provide detailed information to students interested in applying for the RA position.
- Sunday, November 6, 2016 @ 7pm – Monroe Hall 116
- Thursday, November 10, 2016 @ 7pm – Virginia Hall parlor
- Wednesday, November 16, 2016 @ 7pm – Monroe Hall 116
Attending an information session is MANDATORY in order to be considered for the RA position.
The application for the RA position will become active on MyUMW on Monday, October 31, 2016. Once submitted, all applicants will be screened for GPA and judicial standing at the University of Mary Washington.
A resume is required to accompany all applications. The Office of Residence Life, in cooperation with the Academic and Career Services Office, will host Resume Workshops to assist you with your resume writing techniques.
- Please check back for updated dates, times, and locations
POST APPLICATION PROCESS
Each RA applicant will need to interview with at least one member of the Office of Residence Life and participate in a group process interview. Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding the date and time of individual interviews and group process.
Interviews will be conducted on:
- Monday, February 13 thru Wednesday, February 22
Group process will be conducted on:
- Saturday, February 18 OR Sunday, February 19
For tips on how to prepare and thrive during the job interview and group process, consider going to the Academic and Career Services Office located in the University Center.
You should review the RA job description to see if there are any questions you would like answered by staff during your interview.
- October 31 – RA Applications available on MyUMW
- November 6 – RA Selection Information Session 7pm – Monroe Hall room 116
- November 10 – RA Selection Information Session 7pm – Virginia Hall Parlor
- November 16 – RA Selection Information Session 7pm – Monroe Hall room 116
- December 9 @ 5pm – All applications and application materials due via MyUMW
- January 25 – RA Information Session for Study Abroad students 7pm – The Link room 301
- February 13-22 – Candidate Interviews
- February 18-19 – Group process Interviews
- February 24 – Notification of position offers
- March 3 – RA offer acceptance due