Available Full-Ride Scholarships
Welcome to our full-ride scholarships page, where you can find a list of scholarships available for students who demonstrate academic exceptionalism.
Washington Scholars Program
If you are a Virginia resident, you may be considered for the Washington Scholars program. Priority is given to those who apply for admission to the University of Mary Washington by November 15. The Washington Scholar will receive an award equal to full tuition, fees, room, and board. The scholarship is renewable through four years of undergraduate study.
The Washington Scholars program recognizes Virginia high school seniors with exceptional academic credentials. One or more Washington Scholarships will be awarded to incoming first-year students for the fall semester of their incoming year.
Alvey Scholars Program
If you are an out-of-state resident, you may be considered for the Alvey Scholars program. Priority is given to those who apply for admission to the University of Mary Washington by November 15. The Alvey Scholar will receive an award equal to full tuition, fees, room, and board. The scholarship is renewable through four years of undergraduate study.
The Alvey Scholars program recognizes out of state high school seniors with exceptional academic credentials. One Alvey Scholarship will be awarded to an incoming first-year student for the fall semester of their incoming year.
Special consideration shall be made for students in the running for a Rodgers Alvey scholarship who have achieved distinction in STEM-related coursework in high school and intends to major in a STEM-related discipline in college. Preference shall be given to female students to encourage them to pursue STEM fields where they have been historically underrepresented.
Qualified candidates must be students who are:
- Legal resident of Virginia (Washington Scholar)
- Legal out of state resident (Alvey Scholar)
- Offered admission to the Honors Program at the University of Mary Washington.
- Full-time, residing on-campus except for up to two semesters of approved educational experiences.
Preference is given to students who:
- Are finalists or semi-finalists in the National Merit Scholarship competition, valedictorians, and salutatorians
- Show promise for providing service and leadership to the college community through extracurricular activities
Semi-finalist candidates are invited in late January and expected to participate in an individual interview with the Scholarship Committee in March. The final selections are to be made by the Vice President for Enrollment with recommendations from the Scholarship Committee. The full-ride recipient will be notified by April 1.
- Enroll as a full-time UMW student each semester
- Maintain a UMW grade point average of 3.25 during the first semester and 3.50 each semester thereafter, based on a 4.00 grading scale.
- The Washington or Alvey Scholarship is renewable for up to eight total semesters (four years) of undergraduate study at UMW.
Have questions about Full-Ride Scholarships?
Please contact UMW Admissions at (540) 654-2000 or Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can fill out our Request for More Information Form. Feel free to Tweet at us @marywash.